How we support those caring for someone with an addiction and other useful contacts.

Does someone you support use drugs or drink to excess, and does it impact on your life?

Carers in Hertfordshire provides support for anyone who is caring for someone with an addiction. You may not be able to change your loved one’s behaviour but there is information, advice and support available for you.

On this page you can find out where to get help and how you can get involved and improve the support and services provided to you, your relative or friend, and other carers. You can also find out more in our Factsheet: Information for carers affected the drug or alcohol use of someone they look after.

No matter who you care for, how long you’ve been caring or what your circumstances are, if you are looking after a loved one who has an addiction we are here to help

We can:

  • Help you plan your caring role and guide you through the system.
  • Make sure that you have time for a life of your own.
  • Provide opportunities for you to learn new skills or hobbies and gain knowledge to help you to care.
  • Bring you together with other carers to have a say on issues affecting you at our Drug and Alcohol Carers’ Meetings and carers’ workshops. To find out about our meetings, please contact us on 01992 58 69 69 or email
  • Give you the chance to meet other people like you who understand your situation.
  • Keep you updated on issues related to caring and your caring situation through our regular Engagement bulletins sent via email to carers, which includes events and news as well as a newsletters.

By joining our Drug and Alcohol Carer Meetings you can:

  • Raise issues that concern you.
  • Talk to treatment service providers and commissioners.
  • Have the opportunity to be involved in the planning and delivery of events for family carers.
  • Speak to staff at a range of front-line services about what it’s like to live with someone else’s addiction.

Contact us to access our free and confidential support services and have your say.

Where to get help?

Here you will find information on and contact details for services both in Hertfordshire and nationally which provide support to carers whose lives are affected by someone else’s drug or alcohol use. You don’t have to use drugs or alcohol to be affected by them. There is support for you too.

We can help you to make positive changes to your life.

Change, Grow, Live (CGL) provides a free and confidential service for adults and young people who have a problem with drugs or alcohol. They also offer advice, guidance and support to people, such as family carers, with a loved one that has a problem with drugs or alcohol. They run family, friends and carers groups in Hatfield, Hertford, Stevenage, and Watford. For more information or support call 0800 652 3169  or email or visit the website

Emerging Futures provide safe accommodation for those who are homeless, rough sleepers and street drinkers. They support those with severe drug and alcohol misuse issues to move towards healthier, independent living using peer-to-peer support, harm reduction techniques and housing first principles. They provide housing clinics through Change, Grow, Live hubs too. For more information, call 0333 0124714 or email or visit their website at Carers can refer the person they care for to Emerging Future’s housing services using the downloadable referral form at this link. Although it is worded as a referral form for professionals to complete, family and friend carers can submit referrals, or the person they care for can refer themselves too.

The Living Room is commissioned to provide Drug and Alcohol Treatment Services in Hertfordshire and has centres in St Albans, Stevenage and Watford, providing the 12-Step Recovery Programme for people who misuse drugs or alcohol as well as carer support groups. There is a family and carers’ group that meets in Watford every Wednesday from 6pm to 8pm. For more information call 0300 365 0304or visit There is also a helpline people can phone out of hours, run by Family Lives on
0808 800 2222.

Resolve runs a day therapy programme in Welwyn Garden City for people suffering an alcohol or substance misuse problem, and offers support services for family, friends and Carers of people with addiction issues, including an evening Carers Group, counselling and alternative therapies. Resolve also has a premises in Hatfield which offers key working for carers and a carers drop-in. For further details please call 01707 690739or visit their website at

Al-Anon Family Groups provides support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking, regardless of whether that person is still drinking or not. Click here and enter your postcode to find groups in your area, or call 020 7403 0888, between 10am – 10pm. It is open every day.
For the website visit

Families Anonymous (Famanon) is a world-wide fellowship of family members and friends affected by another’s abuse of mind-altering substances, or related behavioural problems. Families Anonymous has groups, both online and spread throughout the country, which meet regularly. Please click on (Famanon) to find out more.

Adfam provides support to those affected by drug or alcohol misuse. Visit the Find a local support group section or their website or call 020 3817 9410.

If you are concerned about your own or someone else’s drinking, visit Drinkaware at




Free Drug and Alcohol Services in Hertfordshire