- Free Flu Vaccinations – Invite carers invite for their free vaccinations and take the opportunity to talk to carers to see if they require any additional support.
- Include a specific carers’ noticeboard within the surgery which is regularly updated with support services available both within the county and locally. Information to be included on your noticeboards can be found on our Materials to Download page.
- NHS health checks – carers must look after both their physical and mental health to allow them to successfully continue with their caring role. Take time to encourage carers to look after their own health needs.
- Flexible appointments – offer flexibility to carers when making appointments as they may have restrictions on when they can attend the surgery.
- Carer Champions are known and accessible to carers.
- Promote and provide carer events.
- Use our Waiting Room Screen to highlight caring.
- Print and distribute new Carers Welcome Pack.
Remind all your team to “remember carers”.
Your team have a lot of different things to think about, so small reminders can make a big difference. We have materials to help with this that are available from our office and can be sent to you in the post or downloaded on links below.
- Place our Remember Carers Postcards or poster in prominent positions around the surgery.
- Use our Remember Carers Stickers and place them on computers, desks and around reception.
- Remind everyone at team meetings to remember carers.
- Arrange a free training session for your team by Carers in Hertfordshire.
- Make sure all staff, including those new to the team, have a copy of our information flyer: Carers and Health: GP surgeries make all the difference.
Think about arranging an event for carers to give them the opportunity to meet and share their experiences with others. Some surgeries try to include something during Carers Week or to coincide with their flu clinics.