The Government is working to tackle disinformation related to coronavirus. Disinformation is the deliberate creation and sharing of false or manipulated information that is intended to mislead people to cause harm or for political, personal or financial gain.
Disinformation can lead to health scares and false accusations and is not always easy to spot, but you can use the SHARE checklist to help you check out if something is real or fake. The SHARE list of things to do or look out for is below:
• Source - make sure information comes from a trusted source.
• Headline - always read beyond the headline.
• Analyse - check the facts.
• Retouched - does the image or video look as though it has been doctored?
• Errors - look out for bad grammar and spelling.
There is more information online at https://sharechecklist.gov.uk/