Here you will find information on and contact details for services both in Hertfordshire and nationally which provide support to carers whose lives are affected by someone else’s drug or alcohol use.

You don’t have to use drugs or alcohol to be affected by them. There is support for you too.

We can help you to make positive changes to your life.

pdf Drugs & Alcohol leaflet (277 KB) : for information on the help available from Carers in Hertfordshire and details on how you can get involved.

Other useful organisations

substance misuse

Change, Grow, Live (CGL) (Spectrum) is the commissioned treatment provider with four main hubs throughout Hertfordshire providing support for carers. Click here for helpful pdf Contact Details for CGL Spectrum (Drug & Alcohol Recovery Service) (266 KB)

The Living Room is commissioned to provide Drug and Alcohol Treatment Services in Hertfordshire and has centres in St Albans, Stevenage and Watford, providing the 12-Step Recovery Programme for people who misuse drugs or alcohol as well as carer support groups. There is a family and carers' group that meets in Watford every Wednesday from 6pm to 8pm. For more information call        0300 365 0304 or visit  There is also a helpline people can phone out of hours, run by Family Lives on           0808 800 2222.

Resolve runs a day therapy programme in Welwyn Garden City for people suffering an alcohol or substance misuse problem, and offers support services for family, friends and Carers of people with addiction issues, including an evening Carers Group, counselling and alternative therapies. Resolve also has a premises in Hatfield which offers key working for carers and a carers drop-in. For further details please call 01707 690739 or visit their website at

Al-Anon Family Groups provides support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking, regardless of whether that person is still drinking or not. Click here and enter your postcode to find groups in your area, or call 020 7403 0888, between 10am – 10pm. It is open every day. For the website visit

Families Anonymous (Famanon) is a world-wide fellowship of family members and friends affected by another’s abuse of mind-altering substances, or related behavioural problems. FA has groups, both online and spread throughout the country, which meet regularly. Please click on (Famanon) to find out more.

Adfam provides support to those affected by drug or alcohol misuse. Visit the Find a local support group section or their website or call 020 3817 9410.

Hertfordshire Alcohol Counselling Service (HACS) offers ONLINE or TELEPHONE advice, information and support to anyone who is concerned about their own or someone else’s drinking. The service is FREE and CONFIDENTIAL, you do not need to give your name if you do not wish to do so. Call 01462 701956 or 07964 289843 or visit the website

And, if you are concerned about your own or someone else’s drinking visit Drinkaware at 

This video Putting It In Words shows how it feels to discover that a family member is a drugs user, how they coped and the support available. With thanks to Adfam, Families, drugs and alcohol. 

Other articles in this category: « Do you feel counted as a carer?     Advocacy »

Download Attachments