We have a Learning Disability Involvement Worker, who will:
- Provide you with the opportunity to meet and talk to other carers with similar experiences to your own through our Learning Disability Carers’ Forums;
- Make you aware of consultations and one-off workshops or focus groups;
- Share information relevant to your caring role. This includes the production of a newsletter for Learning Disability carers twice a year that is available online or by post.
If you’re caring for an adult with a learning disability and want us to keep in touch with you please contact us so that we can add you to our Learning Disability Carers’ Involvement Network.
Our Learning Disability Carers' Forums
The Forums are held every two months in a central Hertfordshire location. They provide an opportunity to meet other carers and hear from speakers on issues relevant to learning disability such as healthcare, Direct Payments, supported housing and Day Services.
The aim of the Forum meetings is to provide carers with the opportunity to talk about their experiences of community, health and care services in Hertfordshire for those with a learning disability and their carers with the organisations planning and providing them.
Information and views you share at the Forums are fed directly into the Hertfordshire Learning Disability Partnership Board (LDPB) via reports and a small group of family carer representatives. The Board is made up of representatives from Hertfordshire County Council, NHS organisations including Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (HPFT) and voluntary organisations that provide services to people with learning disabilities and their relatives/carers as well as carers and service users.
We are always looking for carers to become Family Carer Representatives, which involves attending monthly LDPB meetings. All carers receive training for this as well as a small payment for attendance and travel. For more details about becoming a Family Carer Representative call 01992 58 69 69 or email
For the 2018 Forum dates see our leaflet – pdf Learning Disability Carers’ Forum Meetings 2018 (329 KB) or call us on 01992 58 69 69. Please also look in the download area below for details of Forums, events and items relevant to your caring role.
Keeping you updated
We also have our Involving People Newsletter that has stories about developments and activities that may be of interest to you. For the latest copy, Spring/Summer 2018, please click on the link - pdf Learning Disability Carers Newsletter (May 2018 issue). (722 KB)
We now have a monthly Involvement bulletin sent via email to carers, which includes Learning Disability events and news. If you wish to receive this please contact us to confirm or provide your email address.
News and Events
Hertfordshire County Council is helping Hertfordshire residents with a learning or physical disability find a job or volunteering post through the Connected2Work project. You can find out more by calling 0300 123 4049 or visit www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/connected2work
You can now get extra pages for the Purple Folder
The Purple Folder is for adults with a learning disability to complete with support from their relatives, carers or health or care professional working with them. It contains information about the person’s health and care needs and they can use the Purple Folder when they see doctors, opticians, pharmacists or other health or social care workers.
The information in it helps people ensure they give the person with the learning disability the care and treatment best for them. If you or someone you know with a Purple Folder needs more pages you can download and print them from Hertfordshire County Council’s website via this link – Purple Folder Extra Pages.
For more information about the Purple Folder call Hertfordshire County Council’s Health Liaison Team on 01438 845372. They are open Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.
Hertfordshire County Council is making information more accessible for people with a learning disability
Hertfordshire County Council have developed a website for people with learning disability (and their carers) that gives information to help with their health. The website can be accessed using the link http://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/LDmyhealth
The website currently includes:
• Easy-read leaflets regarding Community Learning Disability Nursing, Health Liaison Team and Specialist Epilepsy Nurses (useful for when discussing a possible referral with someone).
• Information regarding Annual Health Checks with printable documents: Carers Preparation Tool and Easy Read Checklist.
• Information regarding Purple Folders with printable easy-read information. Provides contact details to get a purple folder and extra pages.
• List of Purple Star Services in Hertfordshire. (The Purple Star is a quality kite mark and is offered to all health providers who are willing to review their service, to undertake training and improvements to provide a reasonably adjusted, equitable service for people with a learning disability).
• A ‘How to Stay Healthy’ section that has printable easy read health information: breast monitoring, testicle monitoring and constipation monitoring.
The website continues to be reviewed and updated regularly.