More than 250 volunteers kindly give their time to help us at Carers in Hertfordshire ensure unpaid carers are identified and supported and as it is Volunteers' Week we want to say thank you to them and acknowledge the positive contribution they make.
Whether someone helps occasionally or regularly, their efforts are appreciated all year round. Carers value the support and often make comments such as “The support from the volunteer mentor meant I had a chance to talk through all my issues and problems instead of burdening friends.”
However, as more people who look after someone elderly, ill, disabled or who misuses drugs or alcohol, unpaid, register with the charity, the need for volunteers to support them increases. Can you help? There are a range of roles available, including:
• A note taker and helper at the Involvement Forums;
• Ambassadors/Community Fundraisers: To attend events and provide information about the charity or support fundraising;
• Support at the Borehamwood Seniors lunch and activities club that meets Monday to Friday and a monthly group in Aldenham;
• Administration and reception volunteers at offices in Hertford and Borehamwood; and
• Leaders to run monthly support groups around Hertfordshire, particularly in Letchworth, Royston and Watford, plus helpers at the meetings.
We will have a stand at a Volunteers Fair on Thursday 6th June 2019. The event has been organised by #TeamHerts Volunteering and North Herts Centre for Voluntary Service (NHCVS). It takes place at Mrs Howard Memorial Hall, Letchworth, from 10am to 12pm noon. If you wish to attend call 01462 689409.
We provide volunteers with a welcoming work environment, induction and training. At least 70% of volunteers that completed our recent survey about volunteering with Carers in Hertfordshire said their confidence and self-esteem had increased. Plus, three in five volunteers said their health and wellbeing had improved.
To learn more or apply contact Alex Daar, Volunteer Manager, on 01992 58 69 69 or email
Pictured are some of our wonderful volunteers - thank you for all you do!